PI heads on 96-98 blocks

i will be putting PI heads with comp cams on my older block. I understand that the compression ratio will be increased by about a point. I am guessing i will be only using only premium fuel? Car already has a chip.
Also 24lb injectors with a cobra mass air will be used. Does this sound about right? Any other problems should i be aware of?
I'm not so familiar with the mod motors as I am with the 302s, but I am pretty sure you also need the PI intake manifold. You likely know that, but since you didn't mention it I thought I would just in case.

The 4.6 has those hyperyoublowit pistons that suck so much, but I don't think such a small jump in compression, given that the stock ratio is not that high, would require premium fuel. I'd check around more but I don't think you'd need anything more than the minimum octane rating. Premium is actually worse than regular unless you have the need for it.

The injectors sound too big if all you're doing is a head/cam swap. If you plan on (and use how likely this is when you judge what you plan on as we all "plan on" having a pro stock daily driver) adding N2O or a turbo/blower then now is as good a time as any to upgrade the injectors, but otherwise, why bother?

I'm not sure about the MAF from a Cobra, but in any event it would have to be calibrated for the injectors, in which case you may as well just get a Pro-M or C&L, etc. as the MAF from a Cobra (except the '03-'04, which I know has bigger injectors, but dunno if it'd work with a SOHC) would not be calibrated for those injectors and would require a new MAF. So...just start with the new MAF.

Hope I helped.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that whatever chip you have (generic or custom tune) would need to be updated. Check with the manufacturer.
Endless

You must be logged in to post a reply.

Forum Statistics
Forums: 16, Threads: 235, Posts: 436, Members: 332,
Welcome to our newest member, Scouter291
No new posts
Forum/Thread is closed